Saturday, July 11, 2009

Los Primeros Bailes!

I arrived in Colombia Wednesday morning, a beautiful day had come to welcome me to my new home! Two people from my school were waiting for me with sign that said: Erica Misel. Bueno, at least they were waiting on me, I was afraid they would be late, so I was just happy to see them. They took me straight to my new apartment, which is beautiful and HUGE, at least by my standards. Two bedroom, 2.5 bath, patio, living room, pantry, kitchen, and an office! They already had it furnished for me, and some minimal groceries in the fridge too. I was very tired from traveling. I hadn´t been able to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time during the flight and layovers, so once I got most of my things unpacked, I slept.

The next morning my new landlord (who will NEVER take the place of the Alfaros en mi corazon!!!) came to fix a few things around the house with his nephew. Both of them live in the States and are here on vacation. They asked if I wanted to walk with them to buy the hardware they needed and I could buy some of the things I was needing also. They showed me around the city, el centro. I got my cell phone (312-293-8069) and few other key items for my new casa. I met two other nephews along the way. Later that day I met Rosita, the sister of my landlord who lives in the apartment building. She is so sweet, less than 4 ft tall, and absolutely adorable! The whole family told me whatever I needed, to just come knocking.

The next day, Friday morning, my boss took me for a tour of my new classroom and school campus. I also had lunch at his house with his wife and two of his kids. It was the first time I ate well since I arrived. I had a typical Colombian dish, bean soup with platanos y carne. Followed by un dulce y un cafe. I was so full when I came home that I took a 2 hour nap! :)

I had mentioned to my landlord that I would love to go out some evening and they could show me the city at night. They invited me to go that evening. He and his three nephews took me to place near the house, where I had (what else?...) Tequila. One nephew was raised in the States, one in England, and the other in Colombia. The two gringos didnt dance much, but the Colombian had me on the dance floor within 15 minutes! And I loved it! My first Colombian salsa!!!! The other two got out and danced a little with me too! I was thinking to myself what a great date! When one boy gets tired, I can just dance with one of the others!! And then...it got better! A cousin and a brother-in-law showed up and took us into the city. I hardly had time to drink anymore, I was dancing so much! Salsa, bachata, merengue, and they taught me some new Colombian dances. I dont mean to brag, but they were impressed with my skills ;) It was a great night! All the guys were very nice, respectful, and very fun! The cousin was telling jokes all night, none of which I understood, but they way he tells them made me laugh anyway!

I got home a little after 1am and slept like a baby till late this morning. Less than three days in Colombian, and I have to say, its been a great success so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment