Tuesday, June 7, 2011

FINAL WEEKS: The countdown begins....

I know. It´s been awhile.

In the last two years I have fallen in love with Colombia. A big part of me wants to stay, but I´ve decided to go home at the end of this year. I don´t know if it´s the long time so far away from home, or the influence of the Colombian culture and how close their families are, but I miss my family like I never have before. While I am very sad to be leaving this beautiful country, amazing people, and wonderful life, I am very happy at the idea of being at home. I am moving back to my hometown, Lakin, KS, population: 2300. I plan on living at home with my parents and working on the farm for a while. It´s funny, 10 years ago I graduated high school and couldn´t wait to experience something totally different. After two semesters abroad in Argentina and Brazil, 3 years in Chicago, and 2 years in Colombia, I think I have acheived just that: the farthest thing from life in Lakin. Now, I can´t wait to get back home. I guess what they say is true, the grass is always greener...

I haven´t blogged for a few reasons, highest on the list being work. As mentioned in previous blogs, teaching is a time consuming profession, that never really ends. The more "great ideas" you have, the more hours and hours of work you have.....Another reason is that it is fun to start a blog in a new place because everything is so strange and you want to share it with your family and friends. But after a while things become normal, and the people you spend time with everyday are the ones you begin to share more of your life with. I have made such amazing friends here, and since I haven´t been blogging, they have been the ones to tolerate my endless stories about myself and hours of venting about work. Lucky them ;)

So, I´ve decided that I will do a final series of blogs about my last 4 weeks in Colombia. Hoping to get details about my life here written in history, so that long, long after the brain cells holding this information have been spent (which, who are we kidding, can´t be more than a couple of years from now) I can remember this wonderful time in my life, this gorgeous country, these incredible people....everything.

1 comment:

  1. congrats mama! big hugs.. sorry i didnt get to visit u out there.. <3

    ReplyDelete