Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Two...

Another busy, but wonderful, weekend. (June 17-19, 2011)

Friday: My roommate, Rebecca and I hosted a going away party for all the foreign teachers leaving the school. This included myself, and 5 other teachers. Katie and Ann, from "Four...", my trip to Manizales. Ann´s husband John, my favorite person to argue politics with, and the Carpenters (see Blog from 2009 -July -Buena Gente). All of these people I have worked with for the last two years, and all are moving on to the next project in their lives also. Everyone except the Carpenters are going back to the States, ready to spend time closer to their families. The Carps are going to Guatemala, where they both already have teaching jobs lined up for next year.











We had a nice set up of delicious food for the party. I made quesadillas and re-fried bean dip, while Maricela, or Mexico as we call her, made salsa and guacamole. My roommate Rebecca made a cheese, meat, and cracker plate and some ranch dip to eat with veggies. Lisa and Dan made a delicious cake with the Colombian and American flags both flying proudly. Pam and Amanda made bite-size wraps and sweet and sour pork. And Cathy Carpenter brought her famous cookies. Ann, John, and Katie brought enough beer to fill up our fridge, and Dave brought my favorite liquor, Jar Rum. Pam also brought some Glinfiddich and Maricela brought some Tequila. We were ready to party.
















The turn out was great too. Rebecca and I have a pretty large apartment, and it was full of people from about 9pm until 1am. Everyone came, ate, drank, and had a good time. I have to say it went pretty much perfectly. At around 2am I put my P.J.s on, but we still had a few people who didnt wan´t the party to be over. Amanda and Ann went to the store and bought 40 beers for the remaining 15 of us at our place. At about 3am the portero (door watchman) called and said we needed to shut it down. All in all, great party!!!




Saturday:

Saturday night Andres came down to visit from Salento and we went to a Maelo Ruiz concert. (Regalame una noche) We got there early to get a table with a good view, and proceeded to wait until 2:30 am before the headliner came out! This is in typical Colombian fashion. By this point Andres and I had drank a bottle and a half of aguardiente and after about one song, I secretly wanted to go home and go to bed already! But it was a great show, it is some of my favorite salsa. And, really, we had a good time waiting, making friends with the people at the table next to us. I got a little feisty with the waitress. It was a memorable night!

No comments:

Post a Comment